Welcome!

This body of work began sometime in the mid 1990's, as an experiment, seeing if I could adhere a dress to a canvas and create a painting over all the textures. "Dress painting" is a term I came up with to explain these when I simply couldn't think of anything better. Over the years they have evolved, with new elements of collage being added. Dress patterns, photographs, and embroidery all appear from time to time, as well as lino block prints, rubber stamps and gold leaf. I will use this space to explore the beginnings of this series, as well as showing my latest work. If the piece is available for sale you'll find the price at the bottom. Free shipping in the U.S. Contact me at kallencole@aol.com to purchase.

Would you like to see my full website? Head over to KathrineAllenColeman.com

Thursday, January 21, 2010

Bird in the hand - Nest


Well here's a quick jump forward in time, from one of the first dress related pieces, to one of the most recently completed. I've done many of these glove pieces and call them all "A bird in the hand." They are all 12" square, on gallery wrapped canvas. The vintage glove is adhered to the canvas and the painting begins. In Georgia we are fortunate enough to have an abundance of bluebirds willing to pose as models for seed. "Nest" was stitched through the canvas with embroidery floss, and also painted over. One of my favorite things about this piece is the translucent paint that surrounds the bit of damask pattern in the background. Acrylics are very flexible in allowing the painter to use them transparently to opaquely, and everything in between. Sold.

No comments:

Post a Comment